Monday, 5 December 2011


After having such an abysmal few months I decided I must get myself back on the bike.  I need cycling as an outlet for releasing my stresses/frustrations and after putting half a stone back on I knew I had to get back on the saddle.

So on Saturday I decided that I must ride. I'm not particularly a fan of riding alone so I invited my mother along, telling her we would ride slowly (as she has barely ridden her bike since May - she has been on sick leave on and off for the last 12mths).
So we went out for a pootle around the local area. We had done just under 2 miles when she said she needed to stop. She felt faint! (12mths ago she started fainting/blacking-out regularly, but as she hadn't fainted in so long I'd almost forgotten and had tried to stop worrying about it.)

She slumped over her bike for a few moments and when she started talking again it was all drivel; she was extremely disorientated! After a few more minutes, she said she was OK to carry on home. She didn't look well though and I really wasn't happy about her even walking home, as the roads were winding, narrow, wet and busy.  I decided to phone her next door neighbour to see if she would come and collect her as we were only just over half a mile from home. I couldn't think of any other option; both Mikey and my Auntie were at work and apart from calling an ambulance, there was nothing else I could think of. She would've killed me if I'd called an ambulance - she still hasn't forgiven her nursing colleagues, for calling one the first time she blacked out.  Thankfully I caught her neighbour just as she was walking out the door to go Xmas shopping and she agreed to come to our rescue and take my Mum home.

Phewph! Within 5 minutes, my Mum was safely in her neighbours car. I was very relieved; despite me now having two bikes to get home!  It was treacherous. The road was a steep downhill covered in mud and leaves, making it very tricky to negotiate with cleats and two bikes that wanted to go down the hill faster than me. At least I didn't have to worry about my Mum trying to get her bike down this. ;-) 

After dropping my bike at home, I rode Mum's back to hers - my goodness how she rides that thing I don't know; it felt like a tank and the flat pedals were a nightmare. ;-) Anyway, when I got there, she seemed OK again, a little drowsy, but back to her usual self.

I would have liked to do a few more miles that day, but as I wanted to make sure she was alright, I spent the rest of the day with her; watching TV and playing table tennis, before heading home.

Ah well, at least I still had Sunday to get some miles in.


SS:Mntbiker\Olskoolrodder said...

Your Mum always takes priorety,so don't feel bad,it was time well spent,my friend. I hope she's feeling much better now :)


KatieCake said...

Awww, thanks Steve.

She feels better; she felt OK within a few hours or so, the trouble is we still don't know whats causing it to happen. It's pretty worrying, but it's just something that we have to live with for now and hopefully the frequency will continue to diminish.

SS:Mntbiker\Olskoolrodder said...

That's both good and bad to hear...good that she was feeling fine soon after,bad that you don't know what's causing it. You and yours will stay in the forefront of our thoughts,my friend.