Sunday 24 April 2011

A few longer rides.

Not really much to blog about, but thought I should write something to let you know that I am still alive and most definitely still riding. (After the poor start - mileage wise - to April due to D.I.Y commitments I have made up some of the missing miles.)

I have also enjoyed a number of long anticipated longer rides. Last Sunday we did a local 22 mile ride. Nothing particularly out of the ordinary happened; just the usual run-ins with ignorant car drivers. However, there was a very amusing moment when we passed a horse (and rider) on a descent and then on the long draggy hill back out, the horse started to canter and caught up with us, pushing me to climb at over 10mph, when I usually bearly manage to maintain 7mph near the top. Why didn't I let it pass? Pfft... I don't like being overtaken. ;-)

Today we also did a 20+ mile ride, this time going further afield and to see Fraddam to see some Alpacas and then adventuring onto some lovely smooth roads that I have never ridden on around Praze-an-Beeble (No, I'm not making up these place names). Despite a hellish wind and being desperate for a pee for over half of the journey, it was still pretty enjoyable and I am glad to say that, suprisingly, my legs haven't been struggling too much by these longer rides.

Pic from the Fraddam Alpacas site - as my phone camera's zoom isn't that good.
Other than that, things have been pretty much the same, there have been a few journeys into Penzance to meet Michael after work. (Although this won't continue for much longer though, as the onslaught from tourists is taking the enjoyment out of the coast path.)

The only change that I can think of in the last few weeks is that Paddy's mudguards finally came off at the beginning of this week! Sadly after one ride without them, they needed to be put back on for the next ride.  Since then, the recent lovely weather has tempted me to take them back off again, but I think I may just stick to my original plan and wait until the trip to France in May.

Anyway, I hope that everyone is having a lovely Easter weekend and making the most of the glorious weather.

1 comment:

Small Adventures said...

Firstly,I hope you and yours are having an AWESOME Easter weekend as well,my friend! Sounds like you have been :)

Sounds like some nice rides you've been getting in as well!

Having some extra moneys we were't expecting,I'm going to see Buzz (my LBS friend) this week to talk to him about finally putting together/buying a more road friendly bike (will be my first ever non-knobby tire'd bike :D)...glad you mentioned fenders,I may need a set too :)

Hope you have a great week,my friend!